Thursday, August 23, 2012

Garden party


"Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead." Oscar Wilde 



I attended a garden party last night, it was hosted by an artist network I recently joined. I had read about them and what they could do for an emerging artist, like myself. I came across them during an art walk in a nearby park. 

They seem to have monthly event, but last night was the first time I was able to attend. I was ridiculously nervous on the way there. The drive seemed so long and Peanut gave me some really great pep-talks. As I would not know a soul there other then Peanut and I sometimes gets very shy in large groups. Peanut said ask questions, ask at least three questions to the one person you are taking with. Try to be interested in what they say to continue the conversation. 

I was so glad Peanut was willing to go with me. Even though she returned from a long day at work to take me and be my "arm candy", as she told everyone. She was great arm candy and is rather out going in a conversation. 

I had never been to a Garden party... I was not sure what to wear so I did some research...

It seemed a tad complicated. Wear a costume, perhaps a big hat. Dresses should be in a bright solid prints or floral patterns. Make sure to match your partner's attire. Dress to be mid length, show skin, don't show skin...

So I went with this....

tasteful dress, summer color, mid length
Was so happy to wear a heel again :) Crazy huh!!







Enter the Garden...
 
We arrived, a little earlier then planned. We walked up to a beautiful yellow bricked home and no knocked, no one answered. We did the quiet lets walk around the house and see if everyone is in the back. It was so quiet we worried that no one came or we were trespassing on the wrong persons property. 

The yard was pretty, with a curvy pool in the back. It was a back yard garden that was so enclosed you could not see any other houses around. There was about 15 people hanging around drinking wine and chatting. Thankfully everyone was so friendly and greeted us as we walked in looking for the hostess.

So the first thing I went to was the cute fluffy dog. I watched Peanut charm and work the room. I realized that this was a goal I needed to strive towards... the ability to network. Get other peoples cards, connect, ask questions, be memorable. Could I do this in a creative way? 


No comments:

Post a Comment